B S Arun Kumar
124,Swami Nilaya, 4th Main, 4th block
Thyagarajanagar, Bangalore 560028
Arun over the years, has carved a niche for himself in the world of percussion as one of the few drummers who does inter-disciplinary music. He has trained for jazz drumming under his father Sri B.S Sukumar and the legendary drummer Sri Ranjit Barot. Arun is also trained in Carnatic percussions under Vidwan S.V.Giridhar and Vidwan Anoor R Anantha Krishna Sharma. He was initiated to Carnatic music from the Legendary Vocalist 'Karnataka kala tilaka' Vidwan Anoor Suryanarayana.
For the past 20 years, Arun has been sharing the stage regularly with Indian classical music’s geniuses like Sangita Kalanidhi’s Dr. R K Srikantan, Dr. M Balamuralikrishna, A K C Natarajan, Dr. T V Gopalakrishnan, Sudha Raghunathan, Dr. L Subramaniam, M S Sheela, Nithyashree Mahadevan, Vijay Siva, Abhishek Raghuram, Pattabhirama Pandit, Sikki Gurucharan, Dr. Kadri Gopalnath, Chitraveena N Ravikiran, Ganesh Kumaresh, Nagraj & Dr Manjunath, Dr. Jayanthi Kumaresh, Dr. Suma Sudhindra, Lalgudi G J R Krishnan & Lalgudi VijayaLakshmi, Ronu Muzumdar, Rakesh Chaurasia, U Rajesh, Rajesh Vaidya, Purbayun Chaterjee, Stephan Devassy and many more.
He has performed regularly with the Legendary playback singers like Dr P B Srinivas, Dr Rajkumar, Dr S P Balasubramaniam, Dr K J Yesudas, S Janaki, Vani Jayaram, P Sushela, K S Chitra,Kavitha Krishnamurthy, Malgudi Shubha, Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Vijay Prakash, Karthick and many alike. He also is an active member of the music fraternity in the South Indian Film Industry.
Have been featuring regularly with various percussion legends in the field of Mridangam, Tabla and Tavil such as Sangita Kalacharya Vikku Vinayakram, Ustad Zakir Hussain, Sangita Kalanidhi Trichy Sankaran, Bickram Ghosh, Vijay Ghate, Selva Ganesh, Yogesh Shamsi, Mannargudi Vasudevan, Muttukumara Swamy, Fazal Qureshi, Mannargudi Eashwaran, K V Prasad, Anoor Anantha Krishna Sharma, Arjun Kumar and many alike.
Arun is B-High graded artist in the All India Radio for versatile Morching playing. Arun is one of the founder members of Percussion ensemble group called “Layatharanga”.
Arun has also been very active in the recording industry. Some of his recording projects are-
- ‘Carnatic Chills’, ‘Colours of India’ & ' Seasons' with Ganesh Kumaresh.
- Punarnava – a fusion CD with Layatharanga.
- His drumming for the soundtrack of the film ‘Morning Raga’.
- ‘Jhoola’ with Amit Heri.
- Arun and Pallavi Arun (wife and an accomplished singer) have founded a Recording company 'Samudra Records', where they produce creative projects together.
Collaborations and Concert Tours
Arun has toured a host of countries such as Holland, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Denmark, Portugal, Russia, Poland, Luxembourg, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, USA, Canada, Algeria, Sri Lanka, Dubai, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Qatar etc., performing and collaborating with renowned musicians.
Some of the memorable tours and collaborations are
- Barbican Centre concert with a 48 piece orchestra.
- The Algerian Jazz Festival, Constantine with Dr L Subramaniam.
- The International Percussion festival held at Krakow with Layatharanga.
- The Barcelona Music Festival, with the famous Spanish guitarist Pepe Habichualla.
- The Lakshminarayana Global Festival at Leipzeg Germany.
- With Shankar Mahadevan & Purbayan Chatarjee, New Jersey.
- With the Raj Hans Orchestra, Belgium.
- The Coin Street Festival, London.
- With Hariharan, at the Sadelers Wells Festival, London.
- At the Birmingham Museum, Birmingham
- The concert for The United Nations, New York- with Dr L Subramaniam
- The concert with George Brooks.
- The concert at the Berlin Congress Hall.
- The Europe Yoga Conference concert at Zinal, Alps Mountains.
- 50th Year Indian Independence concert at Netherlands.
- He was part of the renowned singer Sri S P Balasubramanyam’s 50 years celebration world tour.
A few collaborations with some illustrious musicians -
- With Moby Duck, a U K based company for an inter-cultural collaborative storytelling project that was performed in South Africa with the South African dance company ‘Tribhangi’.
- With the Chitralekha Dance Company, U.K, for a dance-theatre project 'Tears of Fire'.
- With the Annapurna Dance Company, UK for workshops and tours.
- With Poland’s Indo Lucia.
Recognition and honors
In recognition of his outstanding abilities as a drummer and percussion artist of great repute, many organizations have honored Arun.
- Conferred the title ‘Asthana Vidwan' from Sri Mutt, Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, Kanchipuram.
- Awarded the Endorsement by the world renowned Cymbal Company "ZILDJIAN" Renowned sticks company "Vic Firth" & Renowned Percussions company “MEINL”
- CMANA Endowment Award for an outstanding young percussion artist from Percussive Arts Centre
- ‘Ananya Yuva Puraskar’, from Ananya GML Cultural Academy
- Honor of being the first ever artist to introduce the electronic drums at Music Academy Chennai
- Honor of being the first ever percussion artist to introduce the electronic drums in the field of Dance which is now used as a norm for dance performances world over
- Secured 1st prize in the National level All India Radio competitions performing Morching and awarded “B-grade”
“Give Arun any solid object, he will tap music out of it” says Michael Patro in one of his reviews in the Deccan Herald.
“Arun’s talent along with the urge to experiment is a testimony to his work”, says Sanjitha Rao in The Hindu.